It’s time to clean your window blinds.
You can either do it yourself or leave it to a professional blind cleaning service. Whatever your preference, you’ve come to the right place!
Here’s a comprehensive guide on the best ways to clean blinds easily for DIY-ers, including detailed instructions for cleaning various types of blinds.
And should you be looking for professional blind cleaning services in Sydney or the suburbs nearby, don’t forget to call us. We are ready to help, be it in offices, homes, hotels and even Airbnb accommodations.
DIY Tips on How to Clean Blinds
Dust, grime, stains –all these could latch on your blinds at home or work.
Cleaning blinds is a tiresome activity (to be honest) unless you have an innate love for this grueling task.
Your cleaning method should also be different depending on the type of blinds you have.
Here are some DIY cleaning tips based on the type of blinds you are using.
1. Cellular or Honeycomb Blinds
Cellular blinds provide complete privacy and light control. From the side, these blinds appear to have a diamond shape. Cellular blinds are ideal for energy-efficient homes. Follow these tips when cleaning cellular blinds:
- Remove dust by using a feather duster or soft dry cloth
- If there are cobwebs, you can use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment or your hairdryer set to cool. You can also use these appliances to remove insects stuck on your blinds.
- If you are spot cleaning, use mild detergent and a plain white cloth. Dab, don’t rub, on the area to avoid creasing and color damage.
2. Roman Blinds
Cleaning Roman blinds can be challenging, depending on the material. In general, the upholstery attachment on your vacuum or a hairdryer set to cool can remove dust and most particles from the surface.
- For stains on Roman blinds made from fabric, you can use a damp cloth. If the stain doesn’t budge, check the cleaning instructions to see what type of spot removing solution works for your blinds.
- For wooden blinds, use a wood cleaning solution after vacuuming dust and dirt.
- For washable blinds, detach all the plastic parts and wash the blinds with a mild detergent. Hang them out to dry and reattach all the pieces afterward.
- For Roman blinds made from a non-washable material, steam cleaning is the best method. You need to be careful with steam cleaning. It would be more convenient to leave this task to a cleaner if you are not familiar with the process.
3. Pleated or Duette Blinds
Pleated blinds look similar to Roman shades, but the edges are sharper and more angular. Since pleated blinds are made of cloth, it would be better to get them cleaned professionally.
Dust and grime can gather on the blinds and make them look unsightly. The bristle attachment on your vacuum should solve dust problems.
If you have to remove grime, it would be easier to remove the blinds first and lay them out flat. Use lukewarm water and a dry sponge or a microfiber cloth to clean the blinds.
For oil marks, you can use upholstery spray foam or a fabric cleaner. When in doubt, always consult the cleaning manual.
4. Roller Screens
Roller blinds can give your space a minimalist look. These screens may be rolled vertically or horizontally using a pulley, and are the easiest blinds to clean on your own.
You can use your vacuum or a piece of cloth to remove dust. If the screen requires thorough cleaning, remove the blinds from the roller and follow these steps.
- Use your vacuum cleaner’s brush attachment to remove insects, dirt, and other particles.
- Soak the blinds in a tub or a basin with warm water and laundry detergent. You may add bleach if your blinds are white.
- Leave the blinds in the water for at least two hours.
- Wipe each the blinds with a piece of cloth or sponge. If you encounter tough stains, use an old toothbrush.
- Rinse the blinds. Make sure you remove the soap residue.
- Lay out the blinds to dry.
- Attach the blinds back on the roller.
5. Venetian Blinds
Venetian blinds are known for gathering dust. Vacuuming once every week should do the trick. If you left your blinds to collect dust for months, you would need to do a thorough cleaning.
The most effective method to clean Venetian blinds depends on the material. Here are some quick tips if you don’t want to hire a cleaning company to do the job.
For Wooden Venetian Blinds
When cleaning wood blinds, you can use the same vacuum attachment you use for your furniture. A dryer sheet could also be a valuable tool for removing dirt and dust.
For Faux Wood Venetian Blinds
- For cleaning faux blinds, you will need a vacuum cleaner with the dust brush attachment. If you don’t have a vacuum, grab a microfiber cloth and a pair of tongs. Wrap each head of the tongs with cloth and pinch the blinds between the tongs to make cleaning easier.
- For kitchen blinds, create your homemade window blinds cleaner made of one part water and one part distilled white vinegar. This solution could remove grime and grease efficiently. Use an old sock with this homemade solution to clean the blinds.
6. Aluminum Venetian Blinds
Compared to other materials, aluminum is sturdier. Remember to consult the manufacturer’s cleaning instruction first before you get started. Some chemicals can cause discoloration, so you have to avoid using those.
You can use the following cleaning methods.
- Clean blinds with a feather duster
- Vacuum with a soft brush attachment
- Mix mild detergent with warm water and clean the blinds with a sponge for caked dust or pet hair
7. Vinyl Venetian Blinds
If dusting or vacuuming your blinds is not enough, you need to take down the vinyl blinds and bath it.
Place vinyl blinds in the tub with hot water and add some detergent. Wait for the water to cool down and scrub off grime and dust with a brush. Rinse the blinds in cold water and add a few drops of alcohol or vinegar. Hang the blinds out to dry before putting them back on your window,
If there is a car wash station close to your apartment or house, use the car brush and detergent to get the job done. To give vinyl blinds a good finish, you can opt for light waxing too.
8. Fabric Venetian Blinds
The vacuum cleaner is your go-to domestic appliance when you are cleaning blinds. If you vacuum your fabric blinds, clean the plastic nozzle attachment first and use the lowest speed setting on the device.
After using the vacuum, remove grime and dust from the blinds with a dry soft sponge. Once you’ve taken care of the dust, check for stains and spots. If there are any, you will need a sponge and a mild dishwashing soap and follow these steps.
- Scrub the stain out with the sponge dipped in mild dishwashing soap
- Leave the dishwashing soap on your blinds for 15 minutes before giving it another scrub
- Combine fabric softener and warm water
- Wipe down the blinds with a sponge soaked with water and fabric softener solution.
9. Vertical Blinds
Cleaning vertical blinds can be a bit tricky. Most people would prefer to leave their vertical blinds to professionals rather than do the task themselves.
Cleaning the blinds regularly with the brush attachment on your vacuum can help keep it clean.
If you clean the blinds with a washing machine, always use warm water and don’t let the water temperature exceed 30 degrees.
Roll up your fabric vertical blinds and secure it inside a pillowcase before throwing it inside the washing machine. Always use the gentle wash for blinds to avoid snagging. After washing, allow your blinds to dry naturally.
How to Remove Mold from Window Blinds (If You Are Facing Trouble with This)
The presence of mold means the humidity in your place is too high. Thankfully, mold doesn’t post dangerous health threats although it can be unsightly.
If you clean the mold yourself, wear a dust mask and open the windows. Here is the step by step instructions for removing mold from your blinds.
- Dust off your blinds with a feather duster.
- Use the upholstery attachment to vacuum your blinds.
- Create a soap solution by combining an all-purpose cleaner with warm water.
- Soak a sponge in the soap solution and wipe down the blinds to remove the mold.
- Use an old toothbrush to clean hard to reach areas.
- After washing the mold away, give your blinds another swipe this time with clean water.
- Keep the blinds unrolled until it dries up naturally.
Should You Hire Professional Blinds Cleaning Services or Do It Yourself?
Dirty blinds are stressful to look at, but cleaning can be tricky. If dust is the only issue, all you need to do is take out the vacuum cleaner or the feather duster. Doing the dirty job on your own would just take a few minutes.
If you are dealing with blinds with special cleaning instructions or grease and grime build up over months, it’s a different story.
You need to spend hours on cleaning those blinds, and you should be extra careful. If you forget to check the cleaning instructions, you might end up with damaged or discolored blinds.
In the latter case, calling for professional blinds cleaning services is a better option.
Cleaning pros can give your blinds the royal treatment and take out stains with care, while you tend to more important matters during the day.
Say Goodbye to Cleaning Stress with a Professional Blind Cleaning Service
If you hate cleaning or you don’t have time to clean your blinds, hiring a professional blind cleaner is always an option. When it comes to cleaning blinds, Mr. Meticulous is committed to making every penny of yours well-spent.
Why Mr. Meticulous
Mr. Meticulous is not your regular cleaning company. We have a team of professionals with cleanliness programmed in their DNA.
We have 20 years of experience in providing cleaning services and a team focusing on using the latest technology in the field of cleaning.
When it comes to cleaning blinds, we employ ultrasonic cleaning methods to remove grease dust, stains, and grime from your blinds.
You can also download our blind cleaning price list to find out how much it costs to clean your blinds – affordable and reasonable prices guaranteed.
What Is Ultrasonic Blind Cleaning?
Ultrasonic blind cleaning removes dust particles, dirt, dust mite, mold, grease, oil, and bacteria effectively from your blinds.
This process uses ultrasonic waves to remove contaminants in your blinds while immersed in water.
Ultrasonic waves penetrate every surface to effectively clean the blinds and leave them looking better than ever.
Why Ultrasonic Cleaning?
Ultrasonic cleaning can remove stubborn dirt and stain without damaging your blinds. This method is efficient, safe, and reliable. Dangerous chemicals are not involved in the cleaning process.
We clean these types of blinds using the Ultrasonic method.
- Cellular or Honeycomb Blinds
Made from lightweight material, you don’t want to exert too much force in cleaning these blinds. If spot cleaning wouldn’t suffice the job is better left for professionals to do.
- Pleated/Duette Blind Cleaning
Sanitizing pleated blinds is easier with the help of professional cleaning companies. Grime can be a big problem in cleaning these blinds manually, but it would not be a problem for ultrasonic cleaning.
- Roller Blind Cleaning
You can clean your roller blinds within a day without exerting too much effort. Ultrasonic cleaning makes sure your blinds are deodorized and sanitized.
- Roman Blind Cleaning
Removing dirt and grime can take too much time. If you don’t have the skills to treat fabric blinds delicately, ultrasonic cleaning is faster and more efficient in taking out stains.
- Venetian & Timber Blind Cleaning
Venetian blinds are notorious for gathering dust and dirt. Reaching into small nooks and crannies can also be tricky. Depending on the material, you need to adjust your cleaning method which is one reason to trust professional cleaners with these blinds.
- Vertical Blind Cleaning
Stains can be a big issue for vertical blinds. With ultrasonic cleaning, you won’t have to deal with stubborn stains or feel concerned about discoloration.
Who Do We Serve?
Mr. Meticulous serves a wide array of clients from homes to business establishments to educational institutions. For us, it’s not just about cleaning blinds. We also want to make sure your blinds are functioning correctly.
1. Residential (Domestic) Blind Cleaning
Blinds look lovely in modern houses, but not having them for days can be inconvenient. Blinds are not only placed for aesthetic purposes, and it also provides privacy and blocks out excessive light.
Mr. Meticulous understands the need to provide quick cleaning service for residential homes. You can call up the cleaning service to pick up the blinds at a convenient time and expect it to be back within a short time. Clients often ask for blind cleaners to take out their blinds early in the morning and request for the team to hang it back up by early evening. This way, you won’t have to spend the night without your blinds.
2. Commercial Blind Cleaning
Cleanliness is a must for commercial establishments and corporate entities. Dirty blinds are unsightly, and they are never good for business. Blind cleaning should be a priority, and it’s necessary to have the job completed quickly and outside of office hours.
Mr. Meticulous can provide fast cleaning services, so your office windows will not go bare. Plus, they can work outside of office hours so cleaners won’t disrupt your operations.
3. Institutional Blind Cleaning
Institutional blind cleaning is a big responsibility but it’s a project of this scale is not impossible for Mr. Meticulous. Our company has the workforce to take on the project and ensure thorough cleanliness.
4. Blind Repairs
A gap in your blinds can be troublesome especially if you don’t have time or knowledge about blind repair. Aside from taking care of dust and grime, Mr. Meticulous also offers blind repair services.
If you notice issues with your blinds, you can give us a call. A professional will be sent over to your address to take a look at your blinds, and fix the problem for you.
Blind Cleaning Services Area Coverage
Trained cleaners from Mr. Meticulous cover towns and suburbs in and out of Sydney including:
- Eastern Suburbs
- Inner West
- Lane Cove
- Neutral Bay
- Northern Beaches
- Northern Shore
- North Sydney
- Surry Hills
- Sutherland Shire
- Sydney CBD
- Western Sydney
- And many other towns, suburbs in and around Sydney and Outer Sydney
Call Us For A Quote Today
When your blinds need a bath, contact us at or call us now to get a quote or if you wish to find out if your location is within our reach.
Head Office, Neutral Bay Sydney 2089
Mobile: 9904 1905
Fax: 9904 5565